http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS187049+15-Jul-2008+PRN20080715 HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY PROFITS IN 2007:
• UnitedHealth Group — $ 4.654 BILLION. UnitedHealth Group owns Oxford, PacifiCare, IBA, AmeriChoice, Evercare, Ovations, MAMSI and Ingenix, a healthcare data company
• WellPoint — $ 3.345 BILLION. Wellpoint owns BLUES across the US, including Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Wisconsin, Empire HealthChoice Assurance, Healthy Alliance, and many others
• Aetna Inc. — $ 1.831 BILLION
• CIGNA Corp — $ 1.115 BILLION
• Humana Inc. — $ 834 million According to the data, the five largest groups based on total revenue reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and the California Department of Managed Health Care were WellPoint, Inc., the Kaiser Family Foundation, UnitedHealth Group, Health Care Services Corporation and Aetna. Among them, net premiums written grew an average of nearly 6 percent even as total members declined by almost 2 percent. Total revenue and net premiums written for the health industry as a whole grew 8.7 percent and 8.5 percent, respectively. The five largest publicly traded groups by total revenue reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission -- UnitedHealth Group, WellPoint, Inc., Aetna, Humana, Inc. and the CIGNA Corporation -- saw an average total revenue increase of 9.4 percent in 2007.